Central Boys Soccer Team Takes Home Sectional Champ Title

Mariclare O'Gorman, Sports Editor

On November 1st 2022, the Champaign Central Boys Soccer team beat the Normal West boys team 2-1 and secured the title of Regional Champions. Senior Cooper Carson and junior Matthew Winterbottom scored giving Central the lead and eventually the win. Senior Isaac Fisher and junior Ben Wellens each had one assist.
The team and fans were ecstatic about the championship win. Junior Ezra Bernhard said, “Winning regionals was great. Especially against a Normal West team that we had lost to previously. The victory felt really sweet.” Sophomore Julien Moss agreed with Ezra saying, “We had lost to Normal West earlier this season, and I think that gave us the edge because everyone knew we had to play our best to win. I was also very happy for all the seniors, because I know how hard they worked this season and even if it was only regionals they deserved to win.” Senior Christian Squire, who has been a part of the team since his freshman year, said, “It felt great. We haven’t won [regionals] since my freshman year and we had to play a very difficult team to win it. It felt good to earn something from the work we put in.”
After winning the Regionals, Central moved on to Sectionals. If they did well enough at sectionals they would make it to State. Sadly Central lost in Sectionals against Glenwood 1-4, ending their season. Christian Squire said “We easily believed we were good enough to possibly go to state. I don’t think we went as far as we could have, as we had to play very hard teams very early in the playoffs.” Although this loss was a let down for some of the Central players, they still had a very successful season with a record of 20 wins, three ties, and only two losses in the regular season. Great job Maroons!