Champaign Central Chronicle

The Student News Site of Champaign Central High School

Champaign Central Chronicle

Champaign Central Chronicle

Club Spotlight: Fiber Arts Club

Started in November of 2023, the Fiber Arts Club is a new addition to Central’s variety of extracurriculars. Intended to teach and provide materials for knitters and crocheters of all skill levels, the club meets every other Wednesday in the Library Den.

The group was founded by sophomores Bella Ondevilla, a crocheter, and Margo Gengler, a knitter. “I wanted to have a free, open space to experiment,” said Gengler. Any craft-related hobby can be expensive, especially for beginners, so the Fiber Arts Club provides free hooks, needles, and yarn to over thirty members. “Crocheting and knitting especially with the yarn and the materials is so expensive and we want to make it an affordable hobby,” said Ondevilla. The two are co-presidents and work together to run the club.

Getting the club started proved to be difficult. Ondevilla said that it “Took a lot of postponing, especially with Central Drama.” Both she and Gengler are active members of many extracurriculars and are both thespians. The idea started second-semester last year, but they decided to create the club last fall, with their first meeting in November of 2023.

These supplies are sourced from donations made by teachers, students, and family members. Donations of all sizes and materials are welcome and appreciated. “We’ll take whatever you have to offer up,” said Ondevilla. Every material is accounted for by the secretary Allison Williams and treasurer Bess Chamley. If a member wishes to check out their supplies, they just speak to Chamley and can take it home that day. Donations can be made by contacting either president at [email protected] or [email protected].

Alongside donations, materials will soon be purchased with money from an upcoming fundraiser. The club plans to recruit members to make crochet keychains in the shape of stars, sold for four to five dollars apiece.

To learn more about the club and be notified about upcoming meetings, follow @central.fiber.arts on Instagram.