Champaign Central Chronicle

The Student News Site of Champaign Central High School

Champaign Central Chronicle

Champaign Central Chronicle

Club Spotlight: Jewelry Club

Have you heard about Central High School’s Jewelry Club yet? Well, if you haven’t, here’s what you need to know. Jewelry Club is an exciting new club here at Central created by freshmen Denisse Hernandez and Paola Oviedo and sponsored by Iselin Gutierrez. At Jewelry Club, you can always expect to meet fellow creatives and amplify your creative expression through making jewelry like bracelets, necklaces, rings, and other trinkets. They also assist learners with other jewelry-making methods, like earring crafting and bracelet patterns on various materials. 

The club was founded on January 26th, 2024, but Hernandez and Oviedo had considered creating Jewelry Club for quite some time before they founded it. Once they had the opportunity to create the club they went for it. When asked about the club, Hernandez said she and Oviedo “…knew it would be a good way to work on our social skills, public speaking skills, and our organizational skills, while also meeting new people and making fun memories with people.” 

From February 21-23, they sold necklaces, rings, bracelets, and more handcrafted and storebought jewelry pieces during lunch periods for their fundraiser. The purchaseable jewelry was very popular among students. Hernandez said it “went pretty well, considering it was our first (fundraiser).”

Expressing yourself in a relaxing setting, like an after school club, can be beneficial to students after a long day of school and its daily stressors. By going to a club like this one, students can work with their hands and create unique pieces that they can keep or give to friends and family. Coming to Jewelry Club can expose students to different creative ideas and help people express themselves in a low-pressure environment. 

Jewelry Club meets every other Friday, and following their Instagram at @chsjewelryclub will help keep you up to speed on their latest activities.