Spring Fling 2023: Flower Power

Spring Fling 2023: Flower Power

Sarah Jacobson, Opinions Editor

Central High School’s spring fling dance took place on February 25th from 7 to 10 p.m.  Tickets were sold during the week of February 20-24 for $5, and at the door for $7, as notified on the Daily Announcements.  

The dance was open to all four grades (freshmen through seniors) and was held in Central’s commons area.  Senior El Dager mentioned how the large amount of space in the Commons led to an “empty feeling”.

The student council decorated the Commons to the theme of “Flower power” with pink and white streamers across the columns, along with paper cut-out flowers and lights along the stairwell.  Students had mixed feelings about the decorations.  Freshman Kaitlyn Shoemaker said she thought the decorations “followed the theme well”.  Similarly, Senior El Dager said, “I thought the decorations had a good spring-y theme with the flowers”. They also mentioned how they liked the sunset lamps.  However, Senior Lesley Slue thought the decorations were not up to par with the theme.  “Instead of just balloons and streamers, there could have been [more realistic] fake flowers or banners with the theme labeled on them,” she said.

Many students were impressed with each other’s outfits.  Like the decorations, there were mixed feelings about whether students’ outfits followed the theme.  Dager said, “not particularly.”  On the other hand, both Shoemaker and Slue felt that people’s outfits followed the theme well “for the most part”.

A lot of students were not particularly pleased with the music that was played throughout the evening.  Slue mentioned how the DJ “kept switching between country, rap, and calming music” and how she felt that it “wasn’t high school music”.  Shoemaker also felt that the music could have been better.  “A lot of it was older songs that not many people knew, and there wasn’t really any music that could be danced to,” she said.  However, she also said that towards the end, they “started playing better music”.  Similarly, Dager also felt that the music was “okay”.

As for afterthoughts, Shoemaker said, “I had an ok time at the dance.  It was pretty boring at times, but I had more fun towards the end.”