Champaign Central Chronicle

The Student News Site of Champaign Central High School

Champaign Central Chronicle

Champaign Central Chronicle

NFL Mid-Season Recap

NFL Mid-Season Recap

The NFL has reached the mid-season, week 11 of the NFL season. There has been a lot of news across the NFL, from the leaders to Taylor Swift to issues with the fields, all happening this season. 

The NFL season has had some exciting teams this season, one of them being the Philadelphia Eagles. They are 8-1, with the only loss coming to the New York Jets on the road. The star player of the team is Jalen Hurts. He has a 68.9% completion percentage with 2347 yards, but he has thrown eight picks in 9 games, which is not good. Mike Levitan, a football fan, said, “If Hurts didn’t throw eight picks, he could be in the MVP conversation.” The other teams playing well are the Chiefs, Lions, and Ravens. The Chiefs have had a little exceptional help from someone special who is pretty famous. 

That particular person is Taylor Swift. She is dating Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce. She has come to multiple of the Chiefs games. According to Sporting News, Travis Kelce, with Taylor Swift in attendance, averages  8.5 catches, 108 yards, and 0.5 touchdowns per game. While without Taylor in attendance, he averages 5.8 catches, 41.3 yards, and 0.5 touchdowns. Swift’s attendance was way better for Kelce and the Chiefs. The Chiefs haven’t lost with Swift in attendance, while they are 3-1 with her not in attendance. Her attendance has helped the Chiefs greatly. 

Finally, the turf in the NFL might get banned because there have been too many injuries. The NFLPA (National Football Association Players Association) president, JC Tretter, called for a ban on slit-film turf, citing safety concerns. Field-related issues: Plenty with the old turf, which had been the subject of multiple complaints, including by the San Francisco 49ers after five players suffered lower-body injuries in the same game during the 2020 season. This statement has distraught owners because it costs NFL owners way more money to maintain a grass field than a turf field. The cost to maintain a grass field is 40,000 to 100,000, while maintaining a turf football field is only 8,000 dollars. According to the NFL wide receiver for the Rams, Cooper Kupp, on his X, said, “I believe that we — and all teams — should be playing on grass. This is an age-old issue, and I believe the time to address the problem is now! Let’s have the conversation.” This field is a big issue, and Kupp isn’t the only NFL player complaining about this issue. The area needs a change because it is affecting players’ lives because of the injuries. 

Ultimately, this season has been a lot of fun, with many good games and news. There should be more news and good competition for the rest of the season.