Champaign Central Chronicle

The Student News Site of Champaign Central High School

Champaign Central Chronicle

Champaign Central Chronicle

New Movies in November

Looking for the best new movies to watch right now? Get ready for the holidays with the newest holiday films, or hide from your relatives with these new blockbusters we’ve all been holding our breath for. Either way, these are the best new movies out in theaters this month! 

The Marvels

Released November 10, 2023, 63% Rotten Tomatoes, The Marvels has Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) reclaiming herself from the Kree Republic, until things go awry and she finds her powers inexplicably linked to Ms. Marvel, aka Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani), and Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris). The 3 now have to join forces to disentangle themselves as well as defeat a new villain, embodying the definition of girl power while they do it. 

The Holdovers 

Released August 31, 2023, 96% Rotten Tomatoes, The Holdovers follows a cranky instructor at a New England prep school who stays on campus over Christmas break to watch over the students with nowhere to go. He begins to make unlikely relationships with an intelligent but troubled teen and the school’s head cook, who just lost her son in the Vietnam War. The movie explores the part of the holidays we don’t always see on the big screen, those left forgotten or without their family and the world during the time of giving instead of close-knit, bloodbound families. 

What Happens Later 

Released November 3, 2023, 53% Rotten Tomatoes, What Happens Later is a comment on love and failed relationships. Protagonists Willa and Bill are ex-lovers, having broken up and gone their separate ways more than 2 decades ago. Until that is, they both find themselves snowed in in the same airport over the holidays and begin to reconnect about the lives they’ve lived since then. 

Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes 

Released November 17, 2023, 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, this blockbuster film has been much anticipated by many. Set 64 years before the famous Hunger Games trilogy takes place, The Balled of Songbirds and Snakes delves into the life of a young Coriolanus Snow many years before he became the tyrant we see in the series. His family struggling after the war, he is assigned as a mentor to one Lucy Gray Baird from District 12 and must use both their resourcefulness and showmanship to race against time and ulterior motives. 

It’s a Wonderful Knife 

Released November 10, 2023, 56% Rotten Tomatoes, It’s a Wonderful Knife is a spin on the classic holiday movie It’s a Wonderful Life, but with a whole lot more murder. Local high schooler Winnie is still reeling from Christmas Eve a year prior when she saved her town from a psychotic killer. Feeling nothing in her life is going right, she wishes she was never born, which magically transports her to a universe where she didn’t defeat the killer, who remains at large. Winnie then has to navigate the complications of being a teenager stuck in the wrong universe while also stopping a maniacal killer, with plenty of romantic tension.  

Your Lucky Day 

Released, on November 10, 2023, 88% Rotten Tomatoes, Your Lucky Day centers around the problem almost everyone can relate to, money. It’s Christmas Eve at the Sip N Go corner store, and everyone there wishes they weren’t. So, when one of them decides to buy a lottery ticket and ends up winning 156 million dollars, they all make the logical decision to jump the man and steal the ticket. It quickly turns into a hostage situation, and the witnesses all have to decide what they’re willing to do, and who they’re willing to sacrifice, for a cut of the money. 

Priscilla 

Released October 27, 2023, 82% Rotten Tomatoes, Priscilla is based on the real-life story of Priscilla Beaulieu and Elvis Presley. Being only 14 (!) when she was introduced to Elvis, Priscilla was never in control of her relationship with Elvis. This biopic focuses on that aspect of Elvis, not a man nor a monster but someone corrupted by fame, from the perspective of the young woman who had the misfortune of knowing him. 

Dream Scenario 

Released November 10, 2023, 92% Rotten Tomatoes, Dream Scenario takes a turn for the weird and wacky. Paul Matthews (Nicolas Cage) is your average Joe. He’s a college professor specializing in evolutionary biology, and an expert in “normal’. Then, people start stopping him in the street telling him they’ve all seen him in their dreams. Suddenly Paul is thrust into a world of internet fame, which quickly turns into a commentary on cancel culture and modern-day media as his dream invader counterpart becomes increasingly malicious. 

Make sure to check out these movies and The Chronicles reviews of them, and remember you can’t notice Daylight Savings Time if you’re sitting in a dark theater! Though, the popcorn prices might be more terrifying than the slasher films.