Girls Swim Wins Big 12 Conference

Girls Swim Wins Big 12 Conference

Sarah Jacobson, Opinion Editor

On October 22, 2022, the Central Girls Swim and Dive competed at the Big 12 Conference in Peoria. This conference is the largest swim meet for junior varsity swimmers, and is the second to last meet that they have every year (with sectionals taking place the following week). It is made up of eleven teams in the Champaign, Bloomington, and Peoria areas. It is the end of season focus meet for junior varsity swimmers, but it is also a time for Varsity swimmers to showcase their abilities before sectionals.

All of the hard work of the Central Girls Swim and Dive paid off, and they ended up winning first place in the Big 12 Conference. A few students who are on the swim team shared their thoughts on the team’s amazing accomplishment.

“It was invigorating,” said junior Julia Hopkins. “I have never been more excited in my life- I was jumping around.” Similarly, senior Brianna Freeburg stated, “Winning the conference was amazing to me, it made me really happy.”

A lot of preparation is put into play during the weeks leading up to the Big 12 Conference. About two weeks before the conference, the swim team goes into taper by having shorter practice sessions, and the swimmers do less high intensity training.  They also limit their sugar content and load up on carbs and protein in order to build energy. “Each practice leading up to the conference is a little shorter in time, which in swimming prepares and rests your body to swim the fastest it can,” said senior Sam Cook. Similarly, Freeburg said, “It is a very crucial time in the season.”  

Additionally, the Central Girls Swim team has a lot of really fast swimmers, who contribute individually to the team’s win. Almost all Varsity swimmers placed in the top 12 in every event. “Our team has a lot of depth,” Cook said. “Not only did we have all 3 of our relays win Varsity. but we also won 4 individual events.” The team has multiple scorers in each event, which sets this team apart from other teams, who may only have a few really good swimmers.  There were also divers on the Central Girls Swim and Dive that competed earlier in the day and placed 3rd and 10th, which contributed points to the team’s win.

All three swimmers also shared their thoughts on how their strong team spirit contributed to their success. “I had a feeling we were going to win,” Freeburg said. “We have a great variety of swimmers, and really fast ones that swim all year round.” Similarly, Hopkins said, “We have a really strong team spirit, and we’re a hard-working group of people.” Cook also shared her thoughts on how strong their team has bonded during the season.  She stated, “Our team atmosphere is incredible. Going to practice everyday surrounded by 20 of your closest friends is not only fun, but helps the team morale when sets are grueling or it’s an early five a.m. swim practice.”

The Girls Swim and Dive team is led by coaches Katie Vanhootegen-Dunn and Abby Krows. Cook stated how they are “incredibly devoted to the team” and “work hard all season to provide our team with the sets and resources to perform well, and to also improve our life skills in general.”

This amazing accomplishment ended with the team jumping into the pool with the plaque, and pushing the coaches in in celebration. “It’s great to see how much the team has grown over the past few years,” Cook said. “I love that my senior year ended undefeated within our conference.”