Champaign Central Chronicle

The Student News Site of Champaign Central High School

Champaign Central Chronicle

Champaign Central Chronicle

Hockey Player Dies Due To Skate

Hockey Player Dies Due To Skate

Hockey player Adam Johnson, who was in the EIHL, died October 28th in the UK when the Nottingham Panthers and the Sheffield Steelers were playing, an opposing player’s skate sliced Adam Johnson’s neck when they collided. Adam Johnson was rushed to the hospital, but unfortunately didn’t survive the life-threatening injuries. 

Fans and players in the league have been leaving flowers, paying tribute, and overall grieving Adam Johnson. This incident has been raising questions about more protective gear. The English Ice Hockey Association (EIHA) recommends players at all levels to be wearing protective gear. “It is unacceptable for any player to lose their life while playing sport,” the EIHA said. Student and hockey fanatic Gavin Brown claims, “I think hockey players should be required to wear protective gear because hockey can be a dangerous sport. Without protective gear, it could lead to more injuries like the Adam Johnson one.”

There has been tons of controversy surrounding the opposing player, Matt Petgrave. Matt Petgrave’s skate slashed Adam Johnson’s throat, which led to the fatal incident that we all now know. There is currently an ongoing investigation with Petgrave due to the fact that some people think that Petgrave was intentionally trying to injure Johnson. Petgrave was sliding, and he lifted his skate, which isn’t a normal reaction from a player. Matt Petgrave has been arrested and is being charged with manslaughter. Father and hockey fanatic John F. Riegel had this to say “I think that the reaction wasn’t normal but more of a panic which led to the unfortunate event we know.” 

Hockey has been on the decline for years. Fewer people watch it, fewer people play it, and especially now, a lot of people think it’s dangerous, if not the most dangerous sport. To further prove how dangerous hockey can be, a tenth grader Teddy Balkind who died last year was exactly like the Adam Johnson accident. His neck was sliced open after what was soon to be a critical fall. “The skate blade carries the greatest risk of catastrophic injury in ice hockey,” said Nicloe Chimera. What seems to be common sense is most often ignored. “There needs to be more protection and stricter rules,” said student Bruce Clark.

“As in all sports, the safety of our players must take precedence above all else,” said the EIHA.